[ID3 Dev] ID3v1 Genre URI Recommendation

Daniel Rabus drabus at gmx.de
Tue Dec 13 09:36:01 PST 2005

Hi Ben,

thanks, 'allmusic' offers exactly the information I'm searching for
(relations between genres etc.) -- only their URL scheme seems to be not
stable. If they change their database IDs or dynamic page generation
concept every URI becomes obsolete...

Okay, now I know where the data is but cannot use it... :-/

If I use my own URIs, is there one *normative* site listing all the
standard and winamp genres? Doing a quick search I've found a couple of
sites -- which one is the best to choose?

Daniel

Ben Bennett wrote:
> You could use the allmusic styles.  You would have to make a mapping
> yourself, but there are far more allmusic styles than the standard
> genres (even if you include the winamp ones) so it should be possible,
>
> Hard rock is:
>      http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:217
>
> 		  -ben
>
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:11:05PM +0100, Daniel Rabus wrote:
>
>>Well, maybe my initial posting was a little bit unclear...
>>
>>The Problem: There is still a need for some standardized mapping from a
>>genre ID to an URI.
>>
>>Background: In RDF it's essential to refer to a resource using a URI. So
>>if I create a RDF description of a MP3 file, like
>>
>><rdf:Description>
>>	<dc:creator>Briskeby</dc:creator>
>>	<dc:title>Propaganda</dc:title>
>>	<dc:coverage rdf:resource="xxx"/>
>></rdf:Description>
>>
>>then 'xxx' should point to a URI referring the genre "Pop". If the URI
>>is resolvable, i.e. an URL, additional human readable information (maybe
>>a definition) may be accessible. Also additional statements like "Pop is
>>related to PopRock" will be possible. Let's think about search
>>engines... :-)

>>music. Providing an semantically equivalent URI would raise additional
>>benefits -- and allows proper integration into RDF.
>>
>>Anyone sharing my thoughts? Comments or suggestions?
>>
>>Daniel

[snip]