[ID3 Dev] ID3v1 Genre URI Recommendation

Daniel Rabus drabus at gmx.de
Tue Dec 13 05:11:05 PST 2005

Well, maybe my initial posting was a little bit unclear...

The Problem: There is still a need for some standardized mapping from a
genre ID to an URI.

Background: In RDF it's essential to refer to a resource using a URI. So
if I create a RDF description of a MP3 file, like

<rdf:Description>
	<dc:creator>Briskeby</dc:creator>
	<dc:title>Propaganda</dc:title>
	<dc:coverage rdf:resource="xxx"/>
</rdf:Description>

then 'xxx' should point to a URI referring the genre "Pop". If the URI
is resolvable, i.e. an URL, additional human readable information (maybe
a definition) may be accessible. Also additional statements like "Pop is
related to PopRock" will be possible. Let's think about search
engines... :-)

music. Providing an semantically equivalent URI would raise additional
benefits -- and allows proper integration into RDF.

Anyone sharing my thoughts? Comments or suggestions?

Daniel