[ID3 Dev] Labels And Release Number

Brian Mearns bmearns at coe.neu.edu
Wed Nov 2 16:50:55 PST 2005

I don't have any particular opinion for or against adding these frames
to the spec, but I do have some other comments:

The ID3v2.4.0 spec has been around since late 2000, but as far as I know
most major digital media players still base their parsing and writing of
tags on the 2.3 standard. Even there, they do not support most of the
frames clearly and precisely defined in the 2.3 standard. My point is
this: the id3 crew seems to get stuff going pretty quick so lets even
say every done decides to add these frames to the spec, and they
complete the revised standard to include these tags by the new year. My
guess is, you wouldn't see these changes in too many media players till
2008 easy. Even by then, especially if these are tags as you said which
are primarily of import to independent musicians/labels, you probably
aren't going to find too many folks as Microsoft (for example) eager to
dredge up so old code out of CVS to implement the changes in the standard.

I don't mean that to be a discouragement, because by that logic, nothing
would ever get done. But it is something for you to consider if you're
looking at this as a short term solution to something. If it's a
relatively private issue, like you want to catalog your own collection
by these tags, you might consider using the User defined text
information frame: [http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.html#sec4.2.2] or
(probably better) the private information frame:
[http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.html#sec4.28]

-Brian