[ID3 Dev] Embedded frames (COMM or TXXX?)

Chris Newell chris.newell at rd.bbc.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 02:05:43 PST 2005

Michal,

At 23:24 08/11/2005, you wrote:
>The only problem I have is that I can't find any free java library, which
>can play MP3 files (I need it for my Chapter GUI). Your authoring tool is
>able to play them - can you help me to gain the library please.

I'm using JMF2.1.1e which you can download from: http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf

If you're unfamiliar with the JMF API have a look at the bbc.rd.id3.tool.JMFPanel class in ID3v2ChapterTool.

>In the latest CHAP/CTOC frame specification is no stated which frame do I
>have to use if I want to write more notes related to the Chapter/CTOC. I
>think it should be stated there, because the situation can happen that
>somebody will use COMM frame and somebody other will use e.g. TXXX frame
>for this purpose.
>Can anybody tell me which one should I use. I just want to implement the
>support for more "notes" into my application...

In theory, you should use the same frames to describe chapters that you use for files which don't have chapters. Personally, I would use COMM for a synopsis but I've also seen a frame called TDES used which isn't in the ID3v2 spec.

Chris

Dr J.C. Newell
Digital Media Group, BBC Research & Development
Kingswood Warren, Woodland Way, Tadworth, Surrey
KT20 6NP  UK
mailto:chris.newell at rd.bbc.co.uk      http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd
Tel:   +44 (0)1737 839659
Switchboard:   +44 1737 839500