[ID3 Dev] Whole Album Tags

Chris Newell chris.newell at rd.bbc.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 06:49:43 PST 2005

At 14:26 22/11/2005, you wrote:
>After just a quick read through of the most updated published spec (rev 3, 25.10.05), the only thing that really stuck out to me was a question about the heirarchical nature of the CTOC frames: should this structure be a tree, or is a graph feasible? The essential difference (as I'm describing it) is that if a graph is allowed, then a CTOC could reference another CTOC as it's child, which could re-reference the first CTOC as it's own child (actually, "neighbor" if we're talking about graphs).
>
>If you're familiar with Categories in Wikipedia, you should know what I mean. These can be mutually nested, but do not actually form a tree. I don't know of a real life situation in music where this would be required, but I do know that in a lot of different tree-based work, I often find the tree restrictions (as opposed to graphs) aggravating.

Brian,

There is no restriction on CTOC references in the draft specification so graphs would be feasible.

Chris

>Just a thought, wondering what people think. I probably won't be working on my database (where I'll be using the CTOC and CHAP frames) for a while yet, but when I do, I'll make sure to post any question/comments, etc. on the evolving format.
>
>-Brian Mearns

Dr J.C. Newell
Digital Media Group, BBC Research & Development
Kingswood Warren, Woodland Way, Tadworth, Surrey
KT20 6NP  UK
mailto:chris.newell at rd.bbc.co.uk      http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd
Tel:   +44 (0)1737 839659
Switchboard:   +44 1737 839500