[ID3 Dev] ID3 Chapter tags mentioned at Gearhead

Dan O'Neill id3v2 at northpb.com
Mon Oct 24 18:33:43 PDT 2005

Obsessed with music, Outlook list

By Mark Gibbs, Network World, 10/24/05
Mark Gibbs

This week we take a break from our current VoIP obsession and instead
focus on some of our other obsessions.

Music, for example. We have a large collection of digitized music and
we'd like to preserve the context of an album's context. It's irritating
to listen to an album we've ripped where the tracks on the original
flowed from one to the next and the player pauses between each track
because they were ripped into separate files.

Of course you could rip the album to a single file but then you would
not be able to easily find the start of any particular track. In short,
your choices are imperfect playback or unmanageable content.

If you, like us, have theorized about a standard to fix this, theorize
no longer. A group called ID3 is working on a proposal to add table of
contents and chapter data to any file that uses the ID3 tag.

http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2005/102405gearhead.html