[ID3 Dev] Info Sought

Tom Sorensen tsorensen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 06:16:11 PDT 2005

Again, do not use ID3v2.4 if you want Winamp to read the results.
Winamp will not read any v2.4 tags. You need to use
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.html as your reference instead.

As for VB libraries, I do not know VB, but if you Google for "vb id3"
there seems to be a good number of hits, including this:
http://www.pstruh.cz/tips/detpg_change-id3-tags-script/

I can answer at least one of your questions...

> The next byte is (always?) a zero and the actual information starts
> after that.

No, that byte is part of the frame data (you must include it in frame
length!), is only present for text field data, and indicates if the
data is Unicode or not. The reference to it in the ID3v2.3 docs is
rather buried though, so here it is:

"Frames that allow different types of text encoding have a text
encoding description byte directly after the frame size. If ISO-8859-1
is used this byte should be $00, if Unicode is used it should be $01."

Note that for ID3v2.3 "Unicode" means UTF-16. v2.4 is more flexible,
but, again, I recommend against using it if you want to use Winamp.