[ID3 Dev] ID3v2.5

Ben Bennett fiji at ayup.limey.net
Mon Feb 27 16:17:42 PST 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:31:47AM +0100, Michal Vician wrote:
> This is very disputable, because user mostly edits the tag only once and
> then burns it on CD. In this case there is no need to rewrite entire file
> again and again...

I dispute that.

A lot of programs modify tags to add their stuff... so if you have
stuff on a hard drive and change management programs, or even upgrade,
it may desire to rewrite your tags.

Simplicity is good.  Too much simplicity makes things useless because
real life is not simple so programs will cram stuff into custom tags
in order to implement unsupported features.

Balance is necessary.

Frankly id3v2.3 is a good enough spec and pretty widely implemented.
I really think it would be perfect if there were a v2.3.1 released
that added UTF-8 support and that did a few minor clarifications.

Also an v2.4.1 that clarified the syncsafe behavior and any other
problem areas would be great.

		-ben