[ID3 Dev] 'Extending' ID3 V2.4

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Sat Feb 11 13:02:10 PST 2006

On Saturday 11 February 2006 20:46, Mitchell S. Honnert wrote:

This is largely sane, though I think you could generalize things a little
more.

> So, to throw out some ideas, these "base" frames might be...
>
> TextFrame - what's now the "T" frames i.e. Artist, Title, Album

Sure.

> NumberFrame - a strongly typed frame to store numbers i.e. Track Number,
> Year, Beats Per Minutes, Duration (MS)

This one's arguable.  It's not particularly difficult to convert between text
and integers as in the current text frames.

> BinaryFrame - generically store pictures or any BLOB's/GEOB's

See the note in XML below.

> TextCollectionFrame - a list of text values i.e. Genres
>
> DictionaryFrame - a collection of text key/value pairs i.e. Involved
> People.

I don't see the major difference between these two, and of course the current
text frames are capable of doing lists as well.

> XMLFrame - basically the same as TextFrame but flagged as storing XML.

A GEOB currently isn't limited to binary data -- it's just something with a
mime-type.  I don't see a reason not to have text/xml as one of those.

In terms of getting things implemented, the closer things are to a subset of
the current spec in my opinion the better since that would mean that getting
momentum behind a new spec would be much easier.

-Scott

--
those who don't.