[ID3 Dev] ID3v2.5

Tom Sorensen tsorensen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 05:59:58 PST 2006

I disagree completely. If this was true, there wouldn't be nearly as
many tag editors, metadata services (with multiple versions of albums
in them), and so forth. Tag editing is certainly frequent enough to be
a concern. Padding is essential.

And, frankly, as far as encoding goes -- why not just mandate UTF-8
and be done with it? There would certainly be some breakage from files
encoded in other codepages, but there's a lot of breakage there
already.

And, finally, getting anything new adopted at this point would be nigh
impossible. ID3v2.4 is still pretty well unsupported. A simpler tag
structure would help, but unless you get industry giants onboard
(Apple, Creative, WinAmp, various chipset manufacturers, etc) then
expect adoption to occur sometime next decade, if ever.

As someone else said, simply adding UTF-8 to ID2v2.3 and marking it as
v2.3.1 ($03 01 in the header) would probably be a far better option.
And clarify multiple genres (space or NULL separated), along with any
other simple issues. ID3v2.3 is far from perfect, but it's at least
widespread and well adopted. And existing libraries (even dead ones,
like id3lib) could be trivially modified to support the changes.

Tom