[ID3 Dev] ID3v2 extensions to support the visually impaired

Michal Vician id3v2 at audiott.com
Thu Jan 19 08:36:42 PST 2006

Hi,
This sounds really good!
Just imagine a portable MP3 player with support of audible metadata.. Then
the visually impaired will press a "special button" which will simply play
all available audible metadata of MP3 - nice idea, isn't it ? :-)

> I've started work on a technical proposal for a "Audio Text" frame based
> on the following requirements...

The requirements seems to be ok. I will let you know if I have some
comments to this.

If "Audio Text" frame is completed I will certainly try to implement it
into my application. I'm looking forward the technical proposal.

PS: Is an audible metadata your idea?

Best regards
Miso

> Colleagues,
>
> I would like to propose a new task for the group - to provide support
> within ID3v2 for the visually impaired. This is an important issue for
> broadcasters and may also be of concern to audio book providers.
>
> The idea would be to provide an audible alternative to existing ID3v2
> frames, allowing a listener to navigate through the menus and listings of
> an audio player by sound alone. Although primarily intended for the
> visually impaired, this feature might also be popular with other users and
> useful for media players with no visual display.
>
> Although computer generated speech is a possible approach, I think this
> would probably require too much processing power to be implemented within
> a typical MP3 player. A more practical approach would be to provide audio
> clips within ID3v2 frames which the player can play to accompany the
> presentation of the equivalent textual metadata.
>
> The audible metadata clips could be obtained in several ways:
> - they could be added by the publisher
> - they could be downloaded from third party databases
> - they could be added by a computer generated speech system running on the
> PC used to upload content to the audio player
>
> I've started work on a technical proposal for a "Audio Text" frame based
> on the following requirements:
> - must be able to provide an audible alternative for any existing type of
> text frame.
> - must not preclude the provision of more than one language.
> - must be backwards-compatible with existing v2.3 and v2.4 specifications.
> - there should not be a requirement to provide an audible equivalent for
> every frame in a tag.
>
> I would be very interested to hear whether you think the work would be
> worthwhile and any ideas or requirements you have.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Chris

---
Michal Vician