[ID3 Dev] id3v2.4 & frame sizes?

Mitchell S. Honnert mitch at honnert.com
Sun Jan 15 09:54:31 PST 2006

Jonathan, while I can't answer your question directly, I can give some
background that might help a little.

>I'm a little surprised that iTunes doesn't fix it.
In my experience iTunes and the other major audio players follow the ID3
standard very well, but there *are* exceptions.  iTunes for example will
insert a completely non-standard TCMP frame if you check "Part of a
compilation" in the ID3 edit form.  So, if the authors of iTunes are willing
to disregard the standard in this way, maybe they disregarded or overlooked
the specification about synch-safe frame sizes.  (BTW, I'm reading the v2.4
spec the same way you are about synch-safe frame sizes.)

It would be a shame if one of the most popular audio players corrupted the
v2.4 standard in the way you describe.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it
did.

Mitchell S. Honnert
www.UltraID3Lib.com