[ID3 Dev] compare mp3's irrespective of tags

Mitchell S. Honnert mitch at honnert.com
Mon Jan 16 09:22:27 PST 2006

Kieth, you might want to have a look at MusicBrainz at
http://musicbrainz.org/.  They are a service much like FreeDB or GraceNote
that provides metadata for audio tracks.  (MusicBrainz is free.)  Their
library includes a feature to generate a unique identifier based on a binary
hash of the audio data.  I'm not sure how it works nor have I tested it, but
it seems like it's what you're looking for.

As a quick aside, I handle my dupes by doing my best to tag everything
consistantly, then doing searches for tracks with the same Artist, Album,
Title or the same Artist and Title.  There may be some dupes lurking
somewhere in my library, but I tend to find them eventually as long as I tag
everything well.

Mitchell S. Honnert
www.UltraID3Lib.com