[ID3 Dev] Accessibilty extension draft is posted

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Jun 21 09:16:48 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 17:06, Chris Newell wrote:
> I'd be happy for the proposal to state that it is only appropriate for file
> formats that are compatible with the ID3 unsynchronisation scheme. The
> problem space is too big otherwise.

You might as well just say "MPEG audio" then, since that's pretty much the
only format that the unsynchronization scheme is designed for.

> OK. An alternative solution could be to include a "Description" field so
> that each AudioText frame is uniquely associated with an equivalent text
> frame by a combination of:
>
>    Frame ID
>    Language Code
>    Description
>
> For frames where only one instance is permitted there is generally no
> "Description" field and therefore this would be set to $00.

That doesn't work, for instance, with the W... frames.  (i.e. WOAR)  Search
through the frames spec for "more than one" and you'll see that there are a
variety of formats used for frames that allow multiple instances.

It also doesn't address the problem of updating (when the audio and text go
out of synch) mentioned in my last mail.

-Scott

--
The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow
sharper.