[ID3 Dev] New genre coding idea?

Pat Furrie pfurrie at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 4 14:11:01 PST 2006

Mitch,

Thanks for your reply.

At one point it was determined that the functionality of ID3v1 was
insufficient to meet people’s needs.  It’s time to address the deficiencies
of the current genre model in some way.  While the need for exotic genre
naming schemes might be outside the realm of an orderly standardized word
set, we should also question the usefulness of retaining functionality which
I suspect is seeing limited use.  You’re right – those people with
“Venezuelan Beaver Chill Out Groove” might not be able to have that precise
set of terms, though “Venezuelan,” “Chill,” and “Groove” would probably be
in the list, and you’d have them spelled the same, correct way every time;
who knows how many different ways people would misspell “Venezuelan.”  This
is helpful when you share your music collection with me, and my software
doesn’t have to include some funky new custom genre (one which I’d otherwise
never use, or might be spelled differently than my version.  Now I know that
your groove music will be sorted correctly with my groove music – cool!  As
for “Mitch’s Favs”, it should be expressed by virtue of a rating value, the
sort of thing so many audio library programs already use.

It would be great --  when I buy an MP3 online – for it to have a bunch of
genre and modifier selections already selected, saving me the effort of
having to go classify them all myself.  But if the classification system
can’t be localized, it makes it less useful for handling everyone.

One way to rectify the backward compatibility issue: this is just another
genre list.  Just as some files have genre information recorded in both the
ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags simultaneously, this adds another option of
functionality.  It’s not as elegant, but it doesn’t break anything either.

Pat

   _____