[ID3 Dev] ID3 tag and audio file formats

Michal Vician id3v2 at audiott.com
Thu Mar 2 04:54:10 PST 2006

> For those formats:
>
> - WAV has no tags
> - WMA has its own tagging format, which is specified in the wma spec,
> available in the MSDN (which unfortunately, basically does not allow Open
> Source implementations)
> - Ogg Vorbis uses "Xiph Comments" (same as later versions of FLAC and
> Speex),
> which are embedded into the Ogg container.  You can find information on
> these
> in the comment and container specs on xiph.org
> - AAC uses yet another tagging format, which does not at present have a
> published spec

Many thanks for replies.

Grrr, I can see that the "audio files metadata" situation is not very
good. I mean that there are too many specifications and if you want to
make an application which would support all of them, it might be very
confusing to user. The similar situation is in ID3 - "John Doe" users are
confused of ID3 tag versions and don't know which one to use if an
application offers/supports all ID3 versions.
First I wanted to implement ID3v2 as "widely" as possible. Now my
application supports 39 ID3v2 frames and I'm angry that I can't write it
to other audio file formats :-( What a pity...

I'm curious if there is a way to "translate" all ID3v2 frames (APIC, ...)
to "Xiph Comments" etc... If there is no way, I must only admit that my
application will never support other format than MP3.

Miso