[ID3 Dev] ID3 tag and audio file formats

Aaron VonderHaar gruen0aermel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 15:13:04 PST 2006

Why not consider ID3 a separate container format, which has the
following structure:

  <id3v2 tag>  <data>

The "data" could perhaps be an ogg vorbis "file" or wav, mod, aac,
midi-- anything, but the file on disk would contain the tag
concatenated with the audio data, the same as with tagged mp3 (and
flac with id3).

Of course for this to work your application would have to be modified
recognize the tags and to start decoding audio at the data section,
but this would likely be trivial for any application that already
supports id3 for mp3 files.

This seems like a good way to go, since it makes id3 a metadata layer
that's independant of the audio format.

--Aaron V.