[ID3 Dev] Why is footer not included in total size?

Ray Manning ray at homeautomationdev.com
Tue Nov 14 02:56:17 PST 2006

Good point. I was recently wondering the same thing (as well as why someone
would want to start a tag search from the end of a file in the first
place!). The footer does seem like it may, in some situation, for someone,
solve a problem but IMO, it shouldn't foist knowledge of itself into the
interpretation of the size field. To interpret the size field, you now have
to understand the flags as well as choose the proper calculation in order to
determine how many bytes are included in the tag. Overly complex, and as you
mention a breaking change. I see no reason why it couldn't have been made
part of the size field and have a fixed position at the last 10 bytes of the
header.

I actually contemplated always outputing a footer in the tags I write since
it's simple to do and it removes the potential for a false sync signal
should the last byte of the tag be 0xFF. I decided against it due to the
potential incompatibility problems.

I tried to imagine why you might want to exclude the footer from the size
but I've come up blank. The closest I've come is that making a copy of the
tag at the end of the file can be as simple as a literal copy of the tag and
append the 10 byte footer. That should be sufficient for a tag search
starting from the end of the file but it wouldn't be complete since, you'd
have to whack the header flags to indicate the presence of the footer (I
smell the potential for an inconsistency between the header and footer
here -- what would it mean to read a footer that doesn't have the footer bit
set?).

Assuming one buys into the idea that the header size should include the
footer, is there any real reason to keep the footer flag? As far as I can
tell, that flag is only present to allow you to "fix" the size calculation
when skipping the tag. No one is going to be checking that flag in order to
verify the 10 bytes following the tag are actually a footer. The flag does
give you one more significant bit for verification when searching for a
footer, but skipping to the header from the footer and verifying the header
should be more than sufficient.

- Ray