[ID3 Dev] Comments Frame questions

Paul Taylor paul_t100 at fastmail.fm
Wed Apr 25 02:20:52 PDT 2007

A couple of questions about the COMM frame:

I keep on coming across COMM frames which have a language code of '   '
(three space characters), is this valid and if not would it be
acceptable/desirable for a tag editor to just set it to 'eng' (on the
basis that this is most common language
for recorded songs).

In the compliance issues it says
'Winamp does not take into account the Description field of the Comments
(COMM) frame when reading a tag with more than one COMM frame. Instead
of using the COMM frame where the Description field is blank to set the
"Comment" field on the "MPEG file info + ID3 tag editor", Winamp
displays whichever COMM frame happens to be read *last*. So, if another
app writes two COMM frames to a tag, one without a Description value
followed by one with a Description, Winamp will ignore the first generic
COMM frame and use the second. This was can happen when using MusicMatch
Jukebox to edit a tag (which properly uses COMM frames with Description
values to store its Preference, Mood, Situation, and Tempo fields) and
using Winamp to read tag. (Fixed as of Winamp 5.2)'
I cant find anything in the spec that says that a Comment with an empty
description is the default/genreci comment is this actually in the spec.

thanks Paul