AW: [ID3 Dev] UTF16LE BOM FF FE incorrectly being identified as start of MP3 Audio

Paul Taylor paul_t100 at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 16 09:12:40 PDT 2007

Ben Bennett wrote:
>> thanks for your advice I think I will rework my code to read from
>> the ID3 header upto the size reported, and then check that MP3Audio
>> starts immediately afterwards for peace of mind. But IF the mp3
>> header does not start then we have a problem, Ill let you know if I
>> have any files that fall into that category.
>>

> That sounds like a good sanity check... but I would not be surprised
> if you found strange new tags...
>
> 		     -ben

Well, Ive done it and only found a few tags whose size does not match
the start of the audio, unfortunately the files were not created myself
so I dont know their history. In all cases the size recorded in smaller
than the
actual audio starting location, so no harm would have been done. But in
these cases I search again in the file for the start of audio starting
from the beginning of the file, if value returned is the same as when
search starting from the
end of the tag location then we are ok, if it is different all I can do
is use the new value and log a warning that this may possibly not be correct

Paul