[ID3 Dev] id3v2-3 extended header

Jim jmartin92 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 14 09:10:14 PDT 2007

Hi Clemens.

I'm not sure which version of ID3v2 you are asking about.  However, in
both v2.3 and v2.4 tags, the extended header size is the first four
bytes.  For v2.3:

      Extended header size   $xx xx xx xx
      Extended Flags         $xx xx
      Size of padding        $xx xx xx xx

And for v2.4:

      Extended header size   4 * %0xxxxxxx
      Number of flag bytes       $01
      Extended Flags             $xx

Is that what you were asking?  (Both of those descriptions were taken
from the specs available on the ID3 website so you can look there for a
more thorough description of each field.)

I can only guess why the size is stored as 4 bytes.  My guesses would be
both for future compatability if the extended header becomes larger in
later versions and to make it standard with the rest of the sizes
(overall tag size & frame sizes).

Jim