[ID3 Dev] ratings

Ben Bennett fiji at ayup.limey.net
Mon Dec 24 14:13:27 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 08:33:41PM +0100, Jan De Kock wrote:
> Damian Langley wrote:
>> Question:
>> Why isn't there a "rating" tag under ID3v2? IE 0-5 stars as with many of
>> the players. Sure its implemented in Itunes and their ipod, but what
>> happens if someone wants to use a different device? Also moving the music
>> library is a pain because the ratings don't move with the files. The
>> ratings is how I create many lists, as well as mark songs for deletion
>> later (1 star). I think this would be well worth 3 bits in the header.

iTunes does not use the standard tag, and they decided not to
implement their own (which is what they have done in plenty of other
places, so we know they aren't timid about making duplicate
proprietary tags).  They only store their star data in their itunes DB
and on the ipod in some form (separate from the file).

Anyway, the existing POPM tag has what you need.  It associates a
1-255 rating with an email address.  It also has a num plays counter
in the frame.

POPM docs:
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0#head-2452ec9cf8b42c5c117b518b69e129ff67970852

			-ben