[ID3 Dev] iTunes / APIC with Unicode text encoding

Paul Taylor paul_t100 at fastmail.fm
Mon Feb 19 04:52:32 PST 2007

Hi Jud

I tried this with my own jaudiotagger library, although it identified
there were two APIC frames it failed to decode the description or the
image properly. But Ive found a problem with library which maybe causing
problems in other libraries, I think your tag is created correctly. Your
description is encoded in UTF16 with a byte order mark of FF FE, so that
each subsequent character is most significant byte first so 'ǿ' is FF 01
'e' is 65 00 and so on. The problem with my library is that I try to
find the null terminate character because I only want to display upto
the null terminate character, UTF16 expects two zero bytes 00 00 but
because your last character is an 'e' its second byte is 00 which I
incorrectly identify as the first null terminater byte, I then read the
real null terminate byte as the second byte,and read the second null
terminate bytes as the first byte of the image data so my image gets
screwed up. I have now fixed it so that it goes through the buffer in
increments of 2 when searching for the nul terminator bytes.

You could check my synopsis by changing your text description so that
the last character requires two bytes and see if it is shown ok.

You could write UTF16 the other way round (FE FF) then the last byte of
the data will never be zero which is what the jaudiotagger library does
by default. But sombody did indicate to me this causes prob;ems with
Windows XP Explorer, although I haven't verified this.

paul

Nina Simoneǿ