[ID3 Dev] Unicode

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Sun Feb 11 19:36:58 PST 2007

Dale, I will draw on my tiny and recent study of Unicode:

You're right, it can be either big- or little-endian, so to be sure
that it is decoded correctly, a byte order marker (BOM) can be
prepended. This will be two bytes : 0xFF 0xFE for big-endian, or 0xFE
0xFF for little-endian.

That said, there is UTF-16BE, which is always big-endian, and
UTF-16LE which is always , you guessed it, little-endian. They don't
need a BOM, and in fact forbid it.

The ID3v2.3 spec only allows for iso-8859-1 (the encoding byte set to
0x00) and UCS-2 which is essentially UTF-16 (encoding byte set to
0x01), so for completeness, we need to add the BOM when writing
Unicode strings.

There is also UTF-8, which (I may be wrong about this) always has
it's multi-byte characters in big-endian order.

Wikipedia explains in a great deal more detail.

Best,

Mark