[ID3 Dev] Apple iTunes complicance issues

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Tue Feb 13 10:35:24 PST 2007

Ernest Prabhakar wrote:

Hi Ernie --

> Thanks.  Can you perhaps find the Apple bug number, so I can track it?

 From earlier in the thread:

> I reported both the synch-safe int issue (#4435121, reported 6 Feb, 2006) and [...]
>

> Also, if you can identify anything other than Amarok that has this
> problem interoperating with iTunes, it would help raise the priority.
> It doesn't have to run on the Mac, though it should at least run on
> Windows (since those are the two platforms we worry most about).

I suspect pretty much anything using ID3v2.4.  Amarok uses TagLib as do
a handful of OS X and Windows applications.  In a quick search, these
two came up:

http://sbooth.org/Tag/
http://www.fataltourist.com/iripdb/

Freshmeat lists 25 projects that require TagLib; I'm aware of several as
well that aren't listed there.  There's also one of the semi-major
portable MP3 players that I'm pretty sure uses it.

For us Linux nerds (I tend to split my time between Linux and OS X) the
most problematic incarnation of the bugs in the Apple implementation are
in using iPods.  Linux based players have had cover fetching features
for a good while longer than iTunes (several years) and iPods can't
handle properly written cover images.

Cheers,

-Scott