[ID3 Dev] Apple iTunes complicance issues

Dale Preston dalepres at msn.com
Mon Feb 12 18:54:04 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Bennett [mailto:fiji at ayup.limey.net]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 6:59 PM
To: id3v2 at id3.org
Subject: Re: [ID3 Dev] Apple iTunes complicance issues

<snip>
[QUOTE]
Note, I am not sure how iTunes can actually fix this.  Given that they
have been writing horribly broken frames, they have to be able to read
them or people will scream.  I think the only hope is for us to rev
2.4.0 to 2.4.1, but keep the spec essentially the same but really
LOUDLY note this mandatory change.  That way everyone can trust a
2.4.1 tag will not have sync errors in the frames, and it will give
iTunes a safe recovery path.  (And yes... I know you can apply
heuristics to catch the error most of the time, but that is gross).
[ENDQUOTE]

Catching the error may be gross but to create a new minor version is
something that imposes the price of Apples failure to follow the standard on
to every developer of every application forever while Apple would only have
to catch the error once.  Hopefully they will either fix it for the sake of
interoperability or just settle on V2.3 and drop support for V2.4 and V2.2.

Too bad there can't be some level of accuracy in implementation built into
the right to use the standard or at least to identify an application's tags
as ID3.

Dale

			    -ben

For additional commands, e-mail: id3v2-help at id3.org