[ID3 Dev] Tag location

Jim jmartin92 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 12 09:07:17 PST 2007

That's the way I've understood it as well.

audio data
-----------
ID3v2.4
-----------
APEv2
-----------
Lyrics3v2
ID3v1

So far I haven't encountered any software that writes appended ID3v2.4 tags.
However, in the parsing software I've written, when searching for appended
tags, I look for the 2.4 tag both before and after APEv2 tag.  (Just because
I expect some confusion in early implementations of this.)

And I would still like to see it clarified in the spec that 2.4 tags at the
beginning of a file cannot have a footer.  I think the current wording is
ambiguous.  (To me it means that a prepended tag can have either a footer or
padding but not both.)