[ID3 Dev] Tag location

Michal Vician id3v2 at audiott.com
Fri Jan 12 10:40:32 PST 2007

Thanks for quick reply.

 > So far I haven't encountered any software that writes appended
ID3v2.4 tags.
That's why I'm asking. Because I want to create one. I have already
written one library which I use in my application "AudioTT". I found
this library quite easy to modify and have some free time now. Therefore
I decided to modify it, so it will be able to read and write all
versions of ID3v2 and also make conversions between the versions.

> However, in the parsing software I've written, when searching for appended
> tags, I look for the 2.4 tag both before and after APEv2 tag.
Sure. In the spec there is written that you should do it like that.

     1. Look for a prepended tag using the pattern found in section 3.1.
     2. If a SEEK frame was found, use its values to guide further
searching.
     3. Look for a tag footer, scanning from the back of the file.

> And I would still like to see it clarified in the spec that 2.4 tags at the
> beginning of a file cannot have a footer.  I think the current wording is
> ambiguous.  (To me it means that a prepended tag can have either a footer or
> padding but not both.)

Wow. What? I understand it exactly like that ("tag can have either a
footer or padding but not both"). My implementation currently allows to
write a footer in prepended tag.
So, your are saying that prepended tag MUST NOT have footer?? If yes, I
would logically expect to have in specification something like this:
1. "Footer is intended for tag (or part of the tag) located at the end
of the file. Prepended tag MUST NOT have footer, because footer brings
no benefit to prepended tag."
2. "Padding is intended only for prepended tag. Appended tag MUST NOT
have padding, because it would be useful, while there are no audio data
under the tag."