[ID3 Dev] ID3v2.4 Unsynchronisation

Jud White jwhite at cdtag.com
Fri Jan 12 11:57:44 PST 2007

I would say no, it's not valid based on the following:

a - Unsynchronisation

     Bit 7 in the 'ID3v2 flags' indicates whether or not
     unsynchronisation is applied on all frames (see section 6.1 for
     details); a set bit indicates usage.

and, from the quote below:

"This bit MUST be set if the frame was altered by the unsynchronisation"

For writing I would use both if all frames were subject to unsynchronisation.  My guess is that others readers are more likely to respect to unsync bit in the tag header than the frame header, so I would do all or nothing.  Just a guess based on the likeliness that most 2.4 implementations stemmed from 2.3.

For reading I would take an extra cautious approach when reading unsync'd tags since sometimes they're really unsync'd and sometimes they're not.  For APIC this is easy - validate the image, if it's bad, try reading the frame normally.

Jud