[ID3 Dev] TKEY

Mitchell S. Honnert mitch at honnert.com
Sun Jan 14 13:36:54 PST 2007

I have a question about the implementation of the TKEY, the Initial Key,
frame.  Here's the spec for TKEY...

The 'Initial key' frame contains the musical key in which the sound starts.
It is represented as a string with a maximum length of three characters. The
ground keys are represented with "A","B","C","D","E", "F" and "G" and
halfkeys represented with "b" and "#". Minor is represented as "m". Example
"Cbm". Off key is represented with an "o" only.

I have no idea what a ground key or a halfkey is, so I really don't
understand what the valid combinations are.  For example, is "A" by itself a
valid value or does there have to be a halfkey, like "A#"?  Basically, I'm a
big music fan, but I know next to nothing about this kind of stuff.

What would be really nice is if someone could provide a RegEx expression to
validate the TKEY text, but short of that, an explanation of the valid
combinations of the above sections would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitchell S. Honnert
www.UltraID3Lib.com