[ID3 Dev] id2v2.4???

Ben Bennett fiji at ayup.limey.net
Wed Jan 3 16:49:08 PST 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 03:28:01PM -0500, Tom Sorensen wrote:
> Updating id3lib to support 2.4 would be non-trivial; you're better off
> using one of the other projects. That said, 2.4 has pretty much been a
> failure in the marketplace. There's been occasional discussion about
> this on the ID3 mailing list.

I am not sure if I can call 2.4 a failure.  Most things read 2.4.
iTunes writes 2.3 or 2.4 [1] and that is a huge chunk of the market.
Amarok (based on taglib) writes only 2.4 (but reads 2.3).

However, as you noted a lot of things read 2.3 and 2.4 but only write 2.3.
But market-share wise... I dunno, but 2.4 is certainly not a failure.

If you want to be safe?  Tag things 2.3.  Everything reads at least
the basic frames.

		  -ben

[1] Note that iTunes messes up the frame size and does not
unsynchonize it, so large 2.4 frames are have an incorrect length if
you parse them according to the 2.4 spec.