[ID3 Dev] Using multiple tags to specify genre and other traits.

Tom Sorensen tsorensen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 06:38:59 PDT 2007

You're already allowed to have multiple genres in the TCON field. v2.4
is explicit about how to separate them (with a NULL), but the more
predominant v2.3 is not (some use NULLs, some use spaces). There's no
need to allow for multiple TCON fields.

One issue is that many taggers don't explicitly allow you to specify
more than one genre though, especially the v2.3 taggers. Which is why
space delimitation is more common in v2.3 -- just string together the
genres with spaces and you're done. There's a minor complication that
you cannot immediately distinguish "acid jazz" from "acid funk jazz",
but that's largely avoidable -- when you're doing genre searches,
enclose the multiple-word genre in quotes and your software _should_
do the right thing.

Tom