[ID3 Dev] 0-termination in text frames

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Sat Mar 17 10:36:32 PDT 2007

Ben Bennett wrote:
> The 2.4 implementations I've seen do not handle multiple substrings
> (amarok, itunes).

TagLib, used by Amarok does, but the Amarok GUI (and in fact the
"simple" TagLib API) does not.  They just take the first value.

>> So, if you write a 0 terminator at the end of the string, you
>> definitely are on the safe side.
>>

> For 2.3 that is certainly true, but I am not so sure in the case of
> 2.4.  If you have a terminator following the value then doesn't that
> imply a 0-length item?

Yes, I've mentioned that in the past.  It's a subtle distinction, but in
2.4 a null terminated string technically indicates two strings, the
second one being empty.

-Scott