[ID3 Dev] Introductory question

Chris Newell chris.newell at rd.bbc.co.uk
Mon May 14 01:48:39 PDT 2007

At 22:52 12/05/2007, Shawn MacFarland wrote:
>I was wondering about how broadcast (podcast) streams should be tagged. ID3 does an excellent job of providing song recording information, and the basic structure of the tag or something very compatible with it would seem to be useful to tag podcast streams.
>
>Consider for example the NPR Radio show "This American Life". It's got multiple distinct audio segments each show, as well as introductory, transitional, and conclusion audio segments. It would be nice if within the mp3 tag we could mark the offsets into the mp3 where these parts of the broadcast exist, so that a program that reads the tag could provide a link into the mp3 to the point where the segment begins or ends.
>
>As another example consider a sports event. The final broadcast might provide links to an outline of a game, in American football, maybe the beginning and ending of downs, particular penalty or injury breaks, points scored - key plays. etc.
>
>Further it would be nice for the end user of a broadcast to be able to highlight the segments he/she particular likes by adding labels and markers within the header of the stream's tag, to provide a more customized index of the broadcast.

Shawn,

The new ID3v2 Chapter Addendum can do all of these things. It's available here:

   http://www.id3.org/id3v2-chapters-1.0

Unfortunately. it's not widely supported by authoring systems or media players as yet.

>I was hoping someone on the list subscribers could point me in the right direction toward people who are working on this kind of thing.

There is a Sourceforge project which provides an authoring tool for ID3v2 Chapters here:

   http://id3v2-chap-tool.sourceforge.net/

There is a commercial media player (for Pocket PCs and Smart Phones) which supports ID3v2 Chapters here:

   <http://www.conduits.com/news/pr20060925.html>http://www.conduits.com/news/pr20060925.html

The BBC produces a weekly podcast which includes ID3v2 Chapters signalling here:

   <http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/navigate/podcast/rss.xml>http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/navigate/podcast/rss2.xml

This is all the activity I'm currently aware of. If you want any help to get started with ID3v2 Chapters please let me know.

Chris