[ID3 Dev] requested feature

Ben Bennett fiji at ayup.limey.net
Wed Sep 19 07:20:16 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 12:31:52AM +1200, Mike van Bokhoven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Couple of points there - I'd say if Winamp and iTunes don't want to support
> a currently implemented frame, there's not much point in trying to specify
> another frame for them to ignore as well! Are you sure they don't use POPM?

iTunes does not.  Even worse... they don't store the rating in the tag
at all.  It is only stored in their iTunes "database" file.

> I have no idea if they do or don't really, just seems silly not to use a
> standardised frame for something like that. Additionally, repeated play
> isn't necessary - all you have to do is set the rating byte to whatever
> value you like, the play counter is optional, the way I read the spec. I'd
> guess the way this frame is used is up to the app using it, the standard
> doesn't specify much detail.

Windows Media Player uses the POPM field to do it's stars.

> While talking about new standard frames is interesting, in reality ID3
> seems quite static. The uptake of 2.4 does not seem to have been very
> widespread... am I wrong there? The practical upshot of that is that
> there's very little point in defining new frames, unfortunately. Would
> software authors update their support to a 2.5 if there was one?

iTunes supports 2.4 in a broken way.

Taglib can read 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 frames, but can only write 2.4.

But I agree with your point that us speccing a new frame is unlikely
to get it well supported.  I would rather issue a 2.4.1 version to
clarify the spec on some frames and make the whole "frame length"
issue blindingly clear so that anything writing 2.4.1 would get that
right.

It would also be nice to have a 2.3.1 version that just added UTF-8
support.

		     -ben