[ID3 Dev] id3 updates re: itunes and frames in the wild

Paul Taylor paul_t100 at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 20 03:36:57 PDT 2007

Ben Bennett wrote:
> 3. I'm believe that iTunes will write 2.4 tags
>>>   even when writing in 2.3 format (TSOA, TSOT or TSOP)
>>>   Can anyone confirm this behavior?
>>>

>> Yes it does, it also uses contractions of these fields for v2.2. it also
>> has a field for Composer Sort  and a field for Album Artist Sort
>>
>> Field                       v23/v24              v22
>>
>> Title Sort               TSOT                 TST
>> Artist Sort             TSOP                 TSP
>> Album Sort           TSOA                 TSA
>> Album Artist Sort  TSO2                  TS2
>> Composer Sort     TSOC                  TSC
>>

> Cool!  Does it actually honor these?  Updated the wiki.

Sorry not sure what you mean by 'honor' these.

Also if you are interested in frames in the wild MusicBrainzPicard (and
possibly other applications)
use XSOT,XSOP and XSOA for sort fields in ID3v2.3

Also are you interested in the keys used within TXXX frames, Picard  and
Jaikoz both write various MusicBRainz info to these fields, full details
at http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/PicardQt/TagMapping

Also, i think last.fm write tags to support its music scrobbling
service, but I dont know the details.

Paul