[ID3 Dev] id3 updates re: itunes and frames in the wild

Paul Taylor paul_t100 at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 19 12:32:32 PDT 2007

Dan O'Neill wrote:
> Ben Bennett just added some good information to id3.org about iTunes
> [1] and frames seen, but not include in the standard. [2]
>
> Thanks for the updates Ben!
>
> In the interest of getting more complete information about iTunes, can
> anyone help with the following question?

1. I am aware of the TCMP iTunes only frame, are there others?
     TCMP - iTunes compliation flag [3]

In v2.2 its TCP

> 3. I'm believe that iTunes will write 2.4 tags
>    even when writing in 2.3 format (TSOA, TSOT or TSOP)
>    Can anyone confirm this behavior?

Yes it does, it also uses contractions of these fields for v2.2. it also
has a field for Composer Sort  and a field for Album Artist Sort

Field                       v23/v24              v22

Title Sort               TSOT                 TST
Artist Sort             TSOP                 TSP
Album Sort           TSOA                 TSA
Album Artist Sort  TSO2                  TS2
Composer Sort     TSOC                  TSC

> Thanks,
>
> dano
> [1] http://id3.org/iTunes
> [2] http://id3.org/Developer_Information
> [3] http://id3.org/iTunes_Compilation_Flag
> [4] http://id3.org/iTunes_Normalization_settings

Are these pages accessible from the wiki without searching, and it got
me thinking are there loads of other pages there as well that I'm not
aware of?

Paul