[ID3 Dev] PCNT question

Wyatt trent.arms at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 09:09:06 PST 2008

Perhaps something like how OpenGL works does only done within the community
instead of by vendors (and under a benevolent dictatorship or high ruling
council or something to streamline it).  If someone extends the spec or
makes a change, see if people remember or care about it after six months or
a year or so.  If the reaction is positive, even from a vocal minority,
consider modifying the official spec and bump it's revision.  Or, let it sit
and "cure" longer--  in either case you have a fair litmus for the direction
that meta information is headed).  Every few years, take a week (or however
long it would take.) to evaluate what's in and what's gone in, prune out the
cruft, and keep the good stuff.  Bump the minor.

Or hell, we could always do what they do with D and just break everything,
start fresh, and call it ID3v3   ;)

While I strongly agree that "willy-nilly" editing of the spec is absolutely
inexcusable, so too do I feel that a successful specification should be
flexible; either by being relatively easy to modify incrementally or by
being sufficiently future-proof that it can survive the unforeseeable.

Obviously I'm pulling this particular process straight out of my rear, right
now, but even as an idea; as long as the end result is in the control of
"responsible" persons for the "official" copy, others are encouraged then to
stick close to it in spirit, even as they add things.

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me, for now.

-Wyatt