[ID3 Dev] R: [ID3 Dev] How good is this song? Storing rating metadata

ste71mus at alice.it ste71mus at alice.it
Mon Jun 30 00:58:22 PDT 2008

thank you !!
bye

________________________________

Da: Wyatt [mailto:trent.arms at gmail.com]
Inviato: mer 25/06/2008 10.11
A: id3v2 at id3.org
Oggetto: Re: [ID3 Dev] How good is this song? Storing rating metadata

thank you !!
bye

________________________________

Da: Wyatt [mailto:trent.arms at gmail.com]
Inviato: mer 25/06/2008 10.11
A: id3v2 at id3.org

Well it's not a matter of working out what I want to support so much as solving a problem introduced by what others partially do support before it gains multiple nonstandard implementaions <http://www.id3.org/Compliance_Issues>  to resolve the issues as initially presented (metadata evolves as people use it and discover new applications for it).  Currently, I don't know of any player with a user rating system that supports encoding this particular piece of data to ID3 precisely because there's currently no room for it in the standard frames, but we've can't help but accept that that doesn't necessarily stop them.

Looking back over the documentation, I note that having multiple TXXX frames is actually allowed (I hadn't acutually caught that before, somehow), making it potentially acceptable, but at least to my sensibilities it still screams of being a hack--  if we accept that using any particular software shouldn't have any chance of changing the results of a user's experience, then using a TXXX frame would rule itself out by the virtue of having no standard name for the Description of a user rating.  In a bad case, we might end up with five or six popular audio players all storing their ratings in the same basic manner with slightly different descriptions such that they are all mutually incompatible.

For the time being, I'm not going to implement rating storage for any audio players, pending further discussion of this matter, but my targets are Amarok, Quod Libet, and Rhythmbox currently, and whatever happens to hove into view after that.  I live in Linux space, so while I might file bug reports outside, most of it cannot be fixed by me.

73,
Wyatt

PS:  Having said all that, if it's important, I can survey at least a few audio players, though I don't have any Windows or MacOS machines around me.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 22:20, Ben Bennett <fiji at ayup.limey.net> wrote:

	On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:40:22AM -0400, Wyatt wrote:
	> So what do you suppose I should do?

	Ugh.  Nasty problem.  I'd survey the field and see what the other
	programs are storing... BUT iTunes doesn't even put the rating in the
	ID3 tag.

	So, once you know what the others do, work out which you care about
	supporting then support one or more of the tags they write.

	That said... if I didn't care at all about the other programs, I'd
	just use the POPM field and map the 0-255 range to whatever I wanted
	to display.  So 0-100 would be mapped with a multipler (2.5248), and
	the effective 0-10 range of stars would be mapped with (25.248) with
	the hope that was what other implementations would do...

	If you do survey any other programs, please put notes about this in
	the wiki, and/or report back to the list... it is something I am
	intereted in and I assume others are too.

	                       -ben

	For additional commands, e-mail: id3v2-help at id3.org