[ID3 Dev] Strange playback bug on Sony Ericsson K750i

Stefan Nowak p.org at gmx.at
Mon Sep 14 05:14:06 PDT 2009

Hello!

I have realised a strange bug on my Sony Ericsson K750i recently.
After I have added album art for many of my songs within iTunes, most
of these songs continued to also work on my Sony Ericsson K750i, with
one rare exception, which suddenly played back at a very low pitch.
Something must have went wrong.

I investigated, and hereby publish my results, and hope that some
experts will comment.

Sample files temporarily available at:
http://sn.sonance.net/files/temporary/id3-images/

Disclaimer: Note, that the 3 provided music files are there for
technical purposes only, the copyright remains with the original
owner, and that I will remove the files, when the technical
investigation has ended.

Regards, Stefan Nowak

---

Playback on the Sony Ericsson K750i

The MP3 files have originally all been encoded with the same software
(iTunes 3.0.1), and all use the same ID3 version 2.3 and got their
image art added/removed/added in iTunes 8.2 (23) and get synced from a
special iTunes playlist to the phone's memory stick with
iTuneMyWalkman 0.954, which is solely copying the files without any
modification.

# Files without image art (APIC frame). Playback works fine!

./images-none/01 Pilentze Pee.mp3
./images-none/02 Svatba.mp3
./images-none/03 Kalimankou Denkou.mp3

# The same picture in its different file formats is embedded into the
music files accordingly to the prefix number.

./images-different/01-web-download.png
./images-different/02-photoshop-reexport.png
./images-different/03-photoshop-export.jpg

# The playback results are noted below the file.

./images-different/01 Pilentze Pee.mp3
## The file plays back in a very low pitch! Something is wrong!
./images-different/02 Svatba.mp3
## Works!
./images-different/03 Kalimankou Denkou.mp3
## Works!

# Conclusion:

The encoding software and the used ID3 version was the same for all 3
files.
The only difference were the embedded picture files. They are visually
the same, but were saved in different formats.
So the problem is very likely in 01-web-download.png

Shouldn't the ID3 container format withstand from whatever problematic
content is actually in a APIC frame by a proper header which instructs
on how many bytes to skip/ignore?
I inspected 01-web-download.png in a hex editor, but did not find the
only obvious problematic strings of which I could think, neither "TAG"
nor "ID3". Only "QuickTime" came to my attention, maybe some magic
bytes here, maybe some QuickTime container format fragments survived
in the PNG file, and confuse the ID3 format?

But I guess, very likely no ID3 error, but rather just a bug in the
Sony Ericsson Software.