[ID3 Dev] TPE2

Paul Taylor paul_t100 at fastmail.fm
Fri Apr 23 22:58:45 PDT 2010

Jud White wrote:
> >  TPE1
> >   The 'Lead artist/Lead performer/Soloist/Performing group' is
> >   used for the main artist.
> >
> >  TPE2
> >   The 'Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment' frame is used for additional
> >   information about the performers in the recording.
>
> Explorer in Win7 incorrectly labels TPE2 as the "Artist" and TPE1 as
> "Contributing artists". TPE1 has always been the Artist and afaik TPE2
> is rarely used. fb2k, iTunes and WMP all display TPE1 as Artist. Can
> someone speak up to bring this to consensus so I can update the
> compliance page with a little confidence? This is a fairly fresh
> install of Win7 Professional (32-bit) but I suppose something could
> have hooked into the shell overriding default behavior.
>
> Regarding the compliance page, I just tried Foobar and it uses TXXX
> ALBUM ARTIST, not TXXX ALBUM_ARTIST. Paul, since you added this, can
> you confirm and update? Going a little further, I don't know if this
> is a compliance issue, but it's good to note.

Yeah you are correct on both counts. I tried to create a new page on the
wiki for Foobar but didnt have permission so added to compliane issue
instead.
> The way I'd interpret TPE2 is like Queen (TPE1) playing with the Royal
> Philharmonic Orchestra (TPE2). In a compilation album I wouldn't put a
> DJ/mixer in TPE2, though I would put the individual track artists in TPE1.
But I would typicaly put 'Various Artists' into TPE2
> I guess the bigger question is where does Album Artist go? Can we make
> an addendum? Would anyone implement it? I would.
Most applications already used TPE2 for Album artist, and I think  this
is now the defacto standard.

Paul