[ID3 Dev] NUDGE: Tags used by common MP3 players?

Jud White jwhite at cdtag.com
Thu Feb 25 10:45:13 PST 2010

Hi Paul,

My personal guess:

ID3v2.3 is most supported.

TALB
TYER
TIT2
TPE1
TRCK
TCON
APIC

It's worth noting iTunes APIC bug in ID3v2.4 - they don't sync safe the
frame size. It's not just APIC but it's probably most noticeable in this
frame. If you want to remain consistent with the written spec when writing
tags and still have iTunes pick up the APIC frame put it at the end of the
tag, they'll overread but truncate before padding. Works for 1 picture
anyway. Again that's just ID3v2.4.

I'd just write text in TCON, forget ID3v1 genres, except for reading.