AW: [ID3 Dev] ID3v2.4 tag footer

Mathias Kunter mathiaskunter at yahoo.de
Thu Jan 21 05:32:30 PST 2010

Hi Veena,

I'm also not aware of a tagging tool where you can explicitly add ID3 v 2.4 tag footers. However, using ID3 tag footers generally decreases compatibility with other ID3 implementations because not all implementations handle them correctly (or consider them at all). You don't need a tag footer anyway except when appending an ID3 version 2 tag to the end of a file - and this drastically reduces compatibility again (most implementations don't support appended ID3 version 2 tags).

In order to maximize compatibility, I'd therefore suggest to handle ID3 v 2.4 tag footers as follows:
--> Don't write a footer to a new or existing prepended ID3 v 2 tag.
--> If already present, delete a footer from an existing prepended ID3 v 2 tag.
--> Move an appended ID3 v 2 tag to the beginning of the file, and delete the footer.

Regards,
Mathias K.