[ID3 Dev] Multiple Values proposal

Audio Ranger Development developer at audioranger.com
Wed Mar 7 00:30:48 PST 2012

Hi,

we had this exact discussion when talking about v 2.31 about a year ago:

 > > [Mathias Kunter]
 > > Multiple frames would also break backwards compatibility -
 > > "There may only be one text information frame of its kind
 > > in an tag." Well, breaking this rule won't make any existing
 > > parser fail, but many existing implementations would probably
 > > just use the last frame [...]
 > >
 > > Null-delimited frames seem to be the better choice for me,
 > > since they behave identically for current parsers, assuming
 > > that they read the frame data as simple null-terminated
 > > string.
 >
 > [Ben Allison]
 > Yeah, I agree with this. I mentioned multiple frames only
 > because that's how some other metadata formats handle this. I'm
 > not particularly partial to it and I agree that it conflicts
 > with the existing spec.

But we somehow never actually got to work on ID3 v 2.31. We still have
that github repository at https://github.com/id3 and the collected ideas
at https://github.com/id3/ID3v2.3/blob/master/collected-ideas.txt for
that purpose.

Maybe I can find some time to work on a v 2.31 draft within the next
weeks. It wouldn't be that much work to at least add UTF-8 and multiple
value support to the specification.

Mathias