[ID3 Dev] id3v2.4 and Windows Media Player (WMP)

Peter Siciliano peter.siciliano at beatport.com
Thu May 3 18:37:23 PDT 2012

On May 3, 2012, at 5:34 PM, Scott Wheeler wrote:

> What Windows did or didn't do was irrelevant.  That said, I see WMP as the Internet Explorer 6 of music players and cringe a bit seeing people tiptoe around its failure to implement a standard introduced 12 years ago.

Agreed.
Speaking to what we are working on.
I am not going to hold back on sharing a ton of very useful data in an open format because others don't want to implement simple solutions to read the tags or want to fight to create a closed format just for the themselves (or to license).
Fortunately, my users are unique and need the info to do their jobs (not just because they want their iTunes library to look cool).
Our users will adopt whatever tools and technologies keep up with the times and give them the value they need to grow and expand as Artists.
On top of that, our industry is receptive (and responsive) to this and given the opportunity to work with an open format (not one developed by one of their competitors) I'm confident reading appropriate tags will be embraced and will likely add the custom tags we will be providing.

In time perhaps others will find value in them and choose the read them as well.
I'll provide the info to this group of course.

P.