[ID3 Dev] Worst cases of "ID3 offenders"?

Mitchell S. Honnert mitch at honnert.com
Sun Dec 18 09:56:41 PST 2005

>did you ever collect your list of offending players
>and their behaviors?
I didn't until your e-mail. ;-)  But I've since gone through the e-mails and
compiled a list, including adding columns for ID3 Version, App/Lib/Encoder,
Symptom, Description, and Submitter.  See attached.

>If you've created the list, I'd like to put it up on id3.org
>and start tracking player revision/bugs.
That's a great idea.  My page wouldn't have any noticeable affect outside
the users of my library, but posting this list to www.id3.org might actually
shame some developers into fixing their software.

Some comments...

In looking over the list, it looks like the "offenders" fall into a couple
of categories.  One is where the frame or tag is flat out corrupted.  The
software either doesn't write the frame in the standard format or it just
makes up its own frame.  The other is a little trickier.  Some apps won't
create an ill formatted tag, but will simply read the tag improperly or show
the wrong data.  I don't know if this category deserves its own column, but
I personally would still include these violations in the "Offenders" list.

I imagine that if you post these and solicit further input from the general
public, you'll get quite a few responses.  You probably don't have time to
confirm each one of them yourself, so maybe you can add a "Confirmed By"
column.  Others (maybe only people on this DL?) would then be able to
confirm that the report violation were legitimate.

Also, I wouldn't count nonsupport as a criteria for an Offender.  No one
from the DL pointed out any examples where an application didn't support a
particular frame as justification for being an Offender, but it might reduce
some of the false "hits" from the general users of the site if this is noted
somewhere.

Well, I hope this helps.  I'm looking forward to seeing a "ID3 Offender"
section.  (Every time I write the word offender, I think I Keith Richards's
solo album, Main Offender.)

 - Mitchell S. Honnert