[ID3 Dev] questions regarding TBPM frame.

darien deathboy2000 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 8 07:11:23 PST 2005

hey there andy.

thanks for taking the time to drop a reply to this thread...

>    the ID3v2.X.0 standard clearly states that the TBPM frame
> contains a string representation of an integer, so the values
> 132.68 and 95.35 are invalid.
>I would not personally recommend changing the current specification
>of the TBPM frame to allow for high precision bpm values but instead
>I would suggest
>you submit a proposal for a new frame (PBPM?). This would allow TBPM
>aware applications to prefer the high precision frame over the
>standard TBPM frame
>whilst also ensuring that existing non-aware applications remain intact.

i honestly think it would be better to change the TBPM frame to allow both.

the reason why i think that way is that most of the apps i've seen
that handle BPM measurement and store it in the TBPM frame all store
a non-whole number. i've only seen a couple of apps that adhere to
the standard, and the rest ignore it and store a non-whole
measurement (ie 13278) in that frame. one of the oldest 'pro' apps
that i know of, PCDJ Red, stores that information in the TBPM frame.
i haven't seen a version of that app in quite a while, but the last
version i saw put a value like '13278' in there.

because there are apps that i use to do bpm measurement that probably
won't ever be updated (mixmeister bpm analyzer, flatfeetpete's
recordboxing app :
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=70378 ) to
adhere to a standard, i think it would be better to change the
standard of that frame to allow both. since apps already stick
non-whole numbers in there, i reckon that devices/apps that look at
that frame already round off non-whole numbers that they see already
if that is necessary. it would be nice though to have newer apps that
adhere to the standard not round off the number if they see a
non-whole number in the frame. i have several thousand files that
have all had their bpm measurements done, and i don't want to have
them all rounded off, as it has taken hours of cpu time to analyze
them. i am not a programmer, and i can't write an application that
would convert the values to a new frame, and don't have the money to
hire a programmer to do that either ... and unfortunately, neither
one of the apps i use would probably be updated to use the new frame.

so again, i ask ... how does one get the standard changed to allow
both types of entries?

cheers for any advice.

--darien!