[ID3 Dev] updates to existing ID3v2 standards?

Ben Bennett fiji at ayup.limey.net
Mon Dec 25 19:32:21 PST 2006

On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 09:56:06PM -0500, Mitchell S. Honnert wrote:
> I probably should have spelled it out more clearly -- oh, irony -- but I was
> also proposing that the ID3 v2.3 be opened up for revision.  In fact, given
> v2.3's ongoing popularity, it's probably more important to make some
> clarifications/tweaks to that version.  Obviously many of the revisions
> would apply to both v2.3 and v2.4, but for me the driving factor would be
> the changes to the v2.3 spec.

That is also a fine idea.  I have proposed adding UTF-8 support to 2.3
before on this list.  That would be quite useful since UTF-16 is
overkill (for Latin based languages) and frankly, I don't trust the
players to do the right thing.

Although 2.4 support is creaping out there.  iTunes has (broken)
support for it, Amarok will only write 2.4, and so on...

		      -ben