[ID3 Dev] 'Extending' ID3 V2.4

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Thu Feb 9 13:38:34 PST 2006

On Thursday 09 February 2006 22:16, Michal Vician wrote:
> Can't see the merit of deprecating frames. ID3v2 is proposed so frames you
> would like to deprecate doesn't limit/restrict you in any way. There is no
> need to deprecate them. So why do they annoy you?

Three notes:

- I'm mostly just babbling about what I would like to see for an ID3v2.5 or
ID3v3, so take this as such.  I don't actually expect either of those
versions happen since it's been about 5 years since the last ID3 revision.  I
certainly don't expect a 2.4.1 or something to deprecate frames.

- For the moment I do just ignore them in my implementation.  They're parsed
as an "unknown frame".

- It's really about complexity and cleanliness.   ID3v2 is too complex for
what it achieves (saying this as a person who has implemented several tag
formats).  In theory, an ID3 spec could do basically everything that ID3v2
does now and be much easier to implement completely.

Basically a spec is only as good as its implementations.  If portions of a
spec are wholesale ignored across many implementations, then it's probably
fair to say that the spec is too complicated.  In this case specifically, I
can certainly imagine an ID3 spec that would be possible to implement
completely, with less code, without reducing the functionality provided.
Adding more frames would just, in my opinion, increase the amount of ID3v2
that would be ignored by implementors.

Cheers,

-Scott
--
New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin.
 --Mark Twain