[ID3 Dev] WinAPM and ID3 tags?

Michal Vician id3v2 at audiott.com
Mon Feb 6 10:14:01 PST 2006

> Winamp 5.2 (currently in beta) will write its tags in UTF-16.

Why didn't winamp begin with UTF-16 support sooner?
You know, users of our applications are mostly dilettantes and they really
don't care about the ID3 structure... They just use software we develop.
If somebody creates tags using my application, or any other application
which don't break the standard, and then open it in winamp, tags seems to
be corrupted at a view of user. However, they are not! Many people can't
believe that the bug is on winamp's side, therefore I receive many e-mails
with complaints on my "wrong" working application. Thus I'm curious about
why does winamp knowingly break the standard? If there is a bug and you
don't know about it, it's ok. But I can't understand why do somebody break
the standard deliberately!

> After an avalanche of complaints , I had to go
> back to the old, bad, behavior.

What complaints? Who complain if something works properly and correctly?

> Such is the reality of software :(

Hmmm. Fortunately, I haven't ever had such experiences with software :)

Regards
Miso

--
Michal Vician